The War of 1812: Shaping Canadian Identity
Essential Element #2: Places and Regions
- Physical and human characteristics of places and regions in Canada and the world
- Factors that influence people’s perception of places and regions
- Changes in places and regions over time
- World political regions
Essential Element #4: Human Systems
- Territorial dispute and conflict
Essential Element #5: The Uses of Geography
- Effects of physical and human geographic factors on major historical events
Geographic Skill #2: Acquiring geographic information
- Use a variety of research skills to locate and collect geographic data.
- Use maps to collect and/or compile geographic information.
Teachers should be able to conduct the lesson in one or two classes.
Students will explore the location, causes and participants of the War of 1812. They will understand and explain how participating in the war has shaped Canada’s identity as a country today.
Saskatchewan — Saskatchewan Grade 8 Social Studies: Dynamic Relationships DR8.3 Assess how historical events in Canada (such as the War of 1812) have affected the present Canadian identity.